How to Reset Password in Kali Linux 2021
2 min read
Kali Linux is the most popular security operating system of today, and it is the operating system that most programmers use for penetration testing. Pen-testing is a practice in which people check their own systems and their own architectures for vulnerabilities. Debian-based, it is widely regarded as one of the best options for hackers. Kali Linux was developed by offensive security as a rewrite of Backtrack, a Linux distribution focused on security. Kali Linux is a distribution with many hacking and penetration tools that are current and are included as part of the distribution by default.
Kali Linux requires a minimum of 20GB of storage space and 1GB of RAM for its installation and operation. The operating system uses a number of tools that require graphics hardware acceleration.
Reset Root Password
If you have forgotten your Kali Linux system password all you need to do is follow the steps below.
- Restart the system
- Enter the GRUB menu and cancel the timeout with any key on the keyboard. So, the system won't boot into Kali.
- Select the 'Advanced options for Kali GNU/Linux' option and press 'E' on the keyboard.
- Go to the line with 'linux' on the command line. Replace 'o' with 'w' in the Linux line so that it becomes 'rw_single'. At the very end of this line, hit the space bar on your keyboard and type 'init=/bin/bash'.
- Save the changes by pressing Fn + F10.
- Enter 'passwd' into the command emulator and press Enter.
- Enter your new password next to the 'New Password' option and press Enter. Once you have retyped your new password, you will see the message 'password updated successfully'.
- You can now return to the login screen and log back into your Kali Linux System.